Cathy A. Roheim
Seafood Markets and International Trade
- Ph.D. Agricultural Economics, University of California, Davis, 1990
- M.S. Applied Economics, Montana State University, 1984
- B.S. Economic Science, Montana State University, 1982
Dr. Roheim conducts research on the general theme of seafood marketing and international trade in seafood products. Most recently a focus has been on the effect of the sustainable seafood movement on domestic and international markets, trade and management policies related to capture fisheries and aquaculture. This includes analysis of consumer demand for ecolabeled seafood, the importance of traceability, particularly as it relates to IUU fishing, and the role of corporate social responsibility as an economic motivation of the supply chain in sourcing sustainable seafood. Additional areas of research include the role of information and labeling in differentiation of seafood products for such issues as safety, organic, farmed versus wild production, and geographical designation.
Professor Roheim has served as President-Elect then President of the International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade, Editor of the journal Marine Resource Economics, and won the College of the Environment and Life Sciences Teacher of the Year award. She is currently the Director of the URI Sustainable Seafood Initiative, a effort intended to evaluate and educate members of the industry, government, and environmental community about the effect of the sustainable seafood movement on markets for seafood. To learn more about the Sustainable Seafood Initiative, go to http://seagrant.gso.uri.edu/sustainable_seafood.
Other Links / Downloadable Reports
- Roheim, C., F. Asche and J. Insignares. 2011. "The Elusive Price Premium for Ecolabeled Products: Evidence from Seafood in the UK Market," Journal of Agricultural Economics, forthcoming.
- Asche, F., A. G. Guttormsen, D. Kristofersson, and C. Roheim. 2010. “U.S. Import Demand for Swordfish,” Food Economics, 7:36-43.
- Smith, M.D., C. A. Roheim, L. B. Crowder, B. S. Halpern, M. Turnipseed, J. L. Anderson, F. Asche, L. Bourillón, A. G. Guttormsen, A. Khan, L. A. Liguori, A. McNevin, M.O’Connor, D. Squires, P. Tyedmers, C. Brownstein, K.Carden, D. H. Klinger, R. Sagarin, K.A. Selkoe. 2010. “Sustainability and Global Seafood,” Science, 327:784-86.
- Roheim, C. 2009. “An Evaluation of Sustainable Seafood Guides: Implications for Environmental Groups and the Seafood Industry,” Marine Resource Economics, 24(3):301-310.
- Roheim, C. 2008. “The Economics of Ecolabelling,” In: Seafood Ecolabelling: Principles and Practice , Eds. T. Ward and B. Phillips, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford , UK , pgs. 38-57.
- Johnston, R.J., C. Roheim, D. Joglekar, and R. Pomeroy. 2008. “Estimating Preferences for Non-Market Attributes of Aquaculture and Sustainable Seafood Production: Methods and Empirical Applications.” International Journal of Environment and Pollution,33(4):469-484.
- Johnston, R. J., C. R. Wessells, H. Donath, and F. Asche. 2007. “ Measuring Consumer Preferences for Ecolabeled Seafood: An International Comparison, ” In: Labelling Strategies in Environmental Policy , M. Teisl, ed., Ashgate Publishing, Brookfield , Vermont , December, pgs. 395-414.
- Guðmundsson, E. and C. R. Wessells. 2007. “ Ecolabeling Seafood for Sustainable Production: Implications for Fisheries Management, ” In: Labelling Strategies in Environmental Policy , M. Teisl, ed., Ashgate Publishing, Brookfield , Vermont , December, pgs. 81-98.
- Roheim, C., L. Gardiner and F. Asche. 2007. “ Value of Brands and Other Attributes: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Frozen Fish in the UK .” Marine Resource Economics , 22(3):239-53.
- Myrland, Ö., P. Emaus, C. Roheim and H. Kinnucan. 2004. “Promotion and Consumer Choices: Analysis of Advertising Effects on the Japanese Market for Norwegian Salmon,” Aquaculture Economics and Management, 8:1-19.
- Kinnucan,H., F. Asche, Ø. Myrland, and C. Roheim. 2003. “Advances in Economics of Marketing and Implications for Aquaculture Development,” Aquaculture Economics and Management, 7:35-53.
- Mariojouls, C. and C. Roheim Wessells. 2002. “Certification and Quality Signals in the Aquaculture Sector in France,” Marine Resource Economics, 17:175-180.
- Wessells, Cathy Roheim.2002. "The Economics of Information: Markets for Seafood Attributes," Marine Resource Economics , 17:153-162.
- Asche, Frank, Helge Bremnes and Cathy R. Wessells. 2001. “Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets; Reply,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics , (84)3:1090-1092.
- Johnston, Robert J., C.R. Wessells, H. Donath, and F. Asche. 2001. “A Contingent Choice Analysis of Ecolabeled Seafood: Comparing Consumer Preferences in the United States and Norway,” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 26(1):20-39.
- Gudmundsson, Eyjolfur and Cathy R.Wessells. "Ecolabeling Seafood for Sustainable Production: Implications for Fisheries Management," Marine Resource Economics , 15(2000):97-113.
- Wessells, Cathy R., Robert J. Johnston, and Holger Donath. "Assessing Consumer Preferences for Ecolabeled Seafood: The Influence of Species, Certifier and Household Attributes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics , 81(1999): 1084-1089.