James L. Anderson
Professor - on leave of absence
Fisheries and Aquacultural Economics
- Ph.D. Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California, Davis, 1983
- M.S. Agricultural Economics, University of Arizona, 1978
- B.S. Biology/Economics, College of William and Mary, 1976
Research in the area of fisheries and aquacultural economics began in 1980 with work on bioeconomic interaction between aquaculture and the common property salmon fishery. Since then numerous research projects have been undertaken and have included topics related to salmon aquaculture, marketing and trade, the Japanese market for herring roe and salmon, the U.S. mussel market, seafood safety, and seafood price forecasting. Current research topics continue to focus on seafood price forecasting, analysis of seafood markets, auctions, market structure and other pricing mechanisms, and the relationship between the seafood market and environmental policies and regulation.
- Valderrama, D. and J.L. Anderson . “Improving Utilization of the Atlantic Sea Scallop Resource: An Analysis of Rotational Management of Fishing Grounds,” Land Economics , Vol. 83, No. 1, forthcoming, Feb. 2007.
- Kristofersson, D. and J.L. Anderson. “Is There a Relationship between Fisheries and Farming? Interdependence of Fisheries, Animal Production and Aquaculture,” Marine Policy , Vol. 30, No. 6 (2006):721-725, forthcoming.
- Martinez-Garmendia, J . and J.L. Anderson . “Conservation, Markets, and Fisheries Policy: The North Atlantic Bluefin Tuna and the Japanese Sashimi Market,” Agribusiness , Vol. 21 No. 1 (2005):17-36.
- Baskaran, R. and J.L. Anderson . “Atlantic Sea Scallop Management: An Alternative Rights-based Cooperative Approach to Resource Sustainability,” Marine Policy , 29 (2005):357-369.
- National Research Council, Committee on Nonnative Oysters in the Chesapeake Bay ( J.L. Anderson , Co-chair) Nonnative Oysters in the Chesapeake Bay. National Academy Press, Washington , DC (2004) 325 pp.
- Anderson, J.L. , The International Seafood Trade , CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, FL and Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, England (2003) 222 pp.
- Anderson, J.L. "Aquaculture and the Future: Why Fisheries Economists Should Care," Marine Resource Economics , Vol. 17 No. 2(2002):133-151.
- Fong, Q.S.W. and J.L. Anderson . "International Shark Fin Markets and Shark Management: An Integrated Market Preference-Cohort Analysis of the Blacktip Shark (Carcharhinus limbatus)," Ecological Economics , Vol. 40(2002):117-130.
- Martinez-Garmendia, J. and J.L. Anderson . "Premiums/Discounts and Predictive Ability of the Shrimp Futures Market," Agricultural. and Resource Economics Review , Vol. 30 No. 2 (2001):160-167.
- Carroll, M.T., J.L. Anderson, and J. Martinez-Garmendia , “Pricing U.S. Bluefin Tuna and Implications for Management,” Agribusiness , Vol. 17 No. 2 (2001):243-254.
- Martinez-Garmendia, J., J.L. Anderson , and M.T. Carroll , "Effect of Harvesting Alternatives on the Quality of U.S. North Atlantic Bluefin Tuna," North American Journal of Fisheries Management , Vol. 20, No. 4 (2000):908-922.
- Zucker, D.A. and J.L. Anderson , "A Dynamic, Stochastic Model of a Land-based Summer Flounder ( Paralichthys dentatus ) Aquaculture Firm," Journal of the World Aquaculture Society , Vol. 30(2) : 219-235.
- Martinez-Garmendia, J. and J.L. Anderson , “Hedging Performance of Shrimp Futures Contracts with Multiple Deliverable Grades,” Journal of Futures Markets , Vol. 19, No. 8 (1999):957-990.
- Anderson, J.L. and Fong, Q.S.W ., "Aquaculture and International Trade," Aquaculture Economics and Management , Vol. 1, No. 1(1997):29-44.
- Sylvia, G . and J.L. Anderson , "A Multilevel, Multiobjective Policy Model: The Case of Marine Aquaculture Development," American Journal of Agricultural Economics , Vol. 78, No. 1(1996):79-88.
- Anderson, J.L. "Purchase Behavior, Food Safety, and Quality Control in Seafood Marketing: Discussion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics , Vol. 77, No. 4(1995):1319-1321.
- Gu, G. and J.L. Anderson , "Deseasonalized State-Space Time-Series Forecasting with Application to the U.S. Salmon Market, Marine Resource Economics , Vol. 10, No. 2 (1995):171-185.
- Vukina, T. and J.L. Anderson , "An Adaptive Model of Perishable Inventory Dissipation in a Nonstationary Price Environment," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review , Vol. 23, No. 1 (1994):1-10.
- Vukina, T . and J.L. Anderson , "Price Forecasting with State-Space Models of Nonstationary Time Series: Case of the Japanese Salmon Market," Computers and Math, with Appl. , Vol. 27, No. 5 (1994):45-62.
- Anderson, J.L. and S. Bettencourt, "A Conjoint Approach to Model product Preferences: The New England Market For Fresh and Frozen Salmon," Marine Resource Economics , Vol. 8, No. 1 (1993):31-47.
- Anderson, J.L. and S. Bettencourt, "Status, Constraints, and Opportunities For Salmon Aquaculture in the United States: A Review," Marine Fish. Review , Vol. 54, No. 1 (1993):25-33.
- Vukina, T. and J.L. Anderson, "State-Space Forecasting Approach to Optimal Intertemporal Hedging," American Journal of Agricultural Economics , Vol. 75 (May 1993):416-424.
- National Research Council, Committee on Assessment of Technology & Opportunities for Marine Aquaculture ( J.L. Anderson , Member) Marine Aquaculture: Opportunities for Growth . National Academy Press, Washington , DC (1992) 290 pp.
- Wessells, C.R. and J.L. Anderson , "Innovations and Progress in Seafood Demand and Market Analysis," Marine Resource Economics , Vol. 7, No. 4 (1992):209-228.
- Anderson, J.L. and J.E. Wilen , "Implications of Private Salmon Aquaculture on Prices, Production and Management of Salmon Resources," American Journal of Agricultural Economics , Vol. 68, No. 4 (1986):866-879.
- Anderson, J.L., "Market Interactions Between Aquaculture and the Common Property Commercial Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Vol. 2, No. 1 (1985):1-24.
- Anderson, J.L. , "Private Aquaculture and Commercial Fisheries: Bioeconomics of Salmon Ranching," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management , Vol. 12, No. 4 (1985):353-370.
- Anderson, J.L . and J.E. Wilen, "Estimating the Population Dynamics of Coho Salmon ( Oncorhynchus kisutch ) using Pooled Time-Series and Cross-Section Data," Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences , Vol. 42, No. 3 (1985):459-467.